Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 16:48:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nfs startup - perhaps it is a problem

>The packets were dumped.  Is the tool used to do this really that important?
>The fact is there were packets sent that should never have been sent
>given the system configuration requiring the use of the hosts file before
>bind, and the fact the data was availble in the hosts file.

That's what we're trying to find out.  I don't care what tool did it --
tcpdump on the same host is desirable, since I believe you said it was the
router, connected via PPP to your ISP.

I am unable to reproduce your problem here on my 2.2-GAMMA system.  My
/etc/host.conf file had:

	# host.conf
	hosts
	bind

My /etc/hosts had:

	127.0.0.1		localhost.kithrup.com localhost
	205.179.156.41		garth.kithrup.com garth
	205.179.156.40		kithrup.com kithrup.kithrup.com ns.kithrup.com news.kithrup.com www.kithrup.com kithrup www ns

My /etc/resolv.conf has:

	domain kithrup.com
	nameserver	165.227.1.1
	nameserver	165.227.2.10

(sorry for the long line there.  Obviously, things are not indented in
either file.)

Doing

	rlogin -KL8 kithrup

on the machine (garth) does not cause any traffic to go to 165.227.*,
according to tcpdump.  (The ntpd I have does, however, but that's irrelevent
to this discussion ;).)

Since you have not provided any useful information -- such as what exact
command you were doing, where the packets were going to, what port they
were, what your hosts file is, what else was running on the system, which
version of the OS you were running, etc. -- I'm not sure what you expect us
to do.

I was fully expecting to dive into debugging the resolver routines -- that
is why I just changed garth's configuration to try to match what I could
figure out of yours.  Then I would have run tcpdump to find out what host
the packets were going to; run ktrace or gdb on the programs generating
them; etc.

But since I don't have the problem, there's nothing I can do.  There's
nothing *anyone* can do, I suspect, without being on your system -- but we
can try to make educated guesses, IF WE HAVE ENOUGH INFORMATION.  The output
of tcpdump is one of the bits of information that would be useful.

Sean.