Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:48:46 -0700
From:      Jeffrey Williams <jeff@sailorfej.net>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Running jails on multiple subnets with multiple interfaces

I have a server with two interfaces, I want to run the host and a couple
of jails using one interface on one subnet (internal interface, private
IP, behind NAT/firewall) and some other jails using the other interface
on another subnet (external interface, public IP, DMZ).

Now my understanding of the challenge in doing this, is that the network
stack is not "virtualized" in the jails, so all the jails use the same
routing table, and for obvious reasons only one default router. (also
just for sake of clarity I don't want to enable routing between
interfaces on the jail host)

Now if I understand all this correctly, then what will happen is, if I
set the default router to the internal networks exit router (the
NAT/firewall), then the jails listening on the external interface will
only be able to talk to their local subnet, and because the internal
subnet won't exist for them they won't be able to connect to the network
at large.

If I set the default router to the external networks exit router (the
DMZ perimeter firewall) then the host and jails listening on the
internal network won't be able to be able to talk to the internet beyond
the local nets, the jails because the external network doesn't exist for
them, and the host because even though it can talk to both nets, the
services are configured to only listen to the internal net, and the it
will be trying to send all outgoing traffic to the public net, thus not
creating and NAT table entries on the NAT/Firewall for the return
connections.

Is there anyway to achieve what I have trying to do?

Thanks
Jeffrey williams