Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2002 21:06:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports broken by KSE changes

Well if you can tell me why you thing the KSE changes broke them
it might help..

'ups' has several errors, ONE of which MIGHT be related to KSE.
(it seems to want to access the pcb that is no longer in the u-area.)

most of theothers are wanting to access something called kp_eproc in
some structure..
I've never heard of it.. and it was certainly not removed intentionally
as part of the KSE changes. Looking in the sources kp_eproc was replaced
by all it's fields being explicitly directly included in
kinfo_proc rather then being in a sub structure called kp_eproc.
just access the subfileds by their new direct names.
(This was NOT a KSE change)

xw is a definite casualty but I think it's a bug in xw.
I don't know why they are accessing the proc struct when they should be
accessing kinfo_proc struct.

I just looked... thay had access to a proc struct in kinifo_proc in 4.x
but it has been replaced by explicit fields for ages in 5.x.
(Certainly before KSE)
The references to proc struct fields should be replaced by references
to the equivalent direct fields withing the kinfo_proc structure,

NOTHING outside the kernel and libkvm should be accessing the proc
structure.

One port tries to do a ptrace call that Peter removed.
I think it could be replaced by a new call that does exactly what they
need if we knew what information they need.