Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:23:49 -0500
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>, "Brent" <bierblb@netins.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installworld (HELP!!)

On Tuesday January 23, 2001 09:24, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> > On Monday January 22, 2001 23:29, Brent wrote:
> > > I have just upgraded from 4.0-RELEASE to 4.2-RELEASE via make
> > > installworld, and it it now done, but now I can getting these
> > > types of errors, why is this?
> > > I haven't recompiled the kernel yet,
> >
> > I think you've answered your question.
> > Rebuild your kernel and the errors should go away.
> >
> > > because I was told I could wait for that.
> >
> > Yeah, you can wait, just not very long.  And you can't do much in
> > the in-between  :)
> > You can wait in the sense that they (build world and
> > buildkernel/installkernel) don't have to be done at the exact same
> > time, but they do both have to be done.
> >
> > I would guess you would want to build the kernel first?  I just
> > follow what it says in the handbook chapter 19.4 to the letter.
> >
> > Tim
>
> Someone help me out if I have my head stuck firmly up my nether
> regions, but from Brent's first post it isn't clear to me whether he
> did a make world.

Read chapter 19 of the handbook again.
Make world is the overall make target.  It was split up into make
buildworld and make installworld, because install world can be
dangerous on a multiuser machine.  So dropping down to single user to
do installworld results in less downtime than doing the whole thing in
single user mode.

> After updating the sources the following three things need to be
> done:
>
> #make world

You are mixing and matching build targets.

> #make buildworld KERNEL=MYKERNEL
> #make installworld KERNEL=MYKERNEL

These are incorrect.   For rebuilding a kernel after updating sources
and a build world, the correct commands are:
# cd /usr/src
# make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
# make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL

These are from chapter 7 of the handboook.

> This sequence DOES compile the kernel, does it not?  Please let me
> know if I am mistaken.

It does if you specify the buildkernel/installkernel targets.   You
were close, just the wrong targets.

> I used to think that I knew what was going
> on, but after the recent discussion of the different ways to compile
> a new kernel, I am not sure anymore.

	The only confusion is that there are two methods of building the
kernel. One is used when the source tree has not been updated, the
other is used when it has.  That is written in the appropriate section
in chapter 7, but many people miss it.

						Tim