Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 07:39:13 -0700
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        ipc1@tribeca.ios.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org

    Dale> 1.) I want to connect my FreeBSD box to the internet through
    Dale> my service provider in order to get the networking packages
    Dale> from the 'Net'.  I'm used to using Procomm or Terminal in
    Dale> the DOS world to dial the modem, etc. What do I use in
    Dale> FreeBSD to do this?

cu and tip are two programs that have been around the Unix world for
awhile that let you do this.

    Dale> Where can I get it?

/usr/bin/cu and /usr/bin/tip.  Type `man cu' and `man tip' for
information on these.  The Frequently Asked Questions list has a
section on `serial communications' which, although a tad outdated,
does have some stuff which might get you started with file transfers
using `tip'.  A copy of the FAQ is in /usr/share/doc/FAQ, if you're
running FreeBSD 2.1; in /usr/share/FAQ/Text, if you're running FreeBSD
2.0.5; and in http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/freebsd-faq.html.

    Dale> Second, once I get the programs I need (specifically httpd),
    Dale> do I just put them in /etc or some directory and then run
    Dale> them?

Not quite ... many programs from the Internet are a simple matter of
editing a Makefile or a configuration file, typing `make' and `make
install'.  Sometimes, you do have to edit the source code a bit to
accomodate each Unix's little set of quirks.

That's where the FreeBSD ports and packages collections make life
simple.  The packages are precompiled and ready-to-install.  The ports
are automated ways to configure a program for FreeBSD, compile, and
install.  The FreeBSD Handbook (/usr/share/doc/handbook on FreeBSD
2.1, or in http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook.html) has lots of
information about them.

Since you're interested in WWW servers, there are two pre-compiled
packages on the CD-ROM and the Internet you might want to investigate:
apache-0.8.14.tgz and cern_httpd-3.0.tgz.  Just type pkg_add followed
by the pathname to one of those files and that software will be
installed.  Then you just have to configure it.

    Dale> Are there instructions with each?

Almost always.

    Dale> Does FreeBSD Come with a gunzip untility? Where is it?

It does: /usr/bin/gunzip; or run /usr/bin/gzip -d.  A lot of Unix file
archives are compressed with /usr/bin/compress and can be uncompressed
with /usr/bin/uncompress.  gzip should understand compressed files.
Finally, the tar program, which is used to make most file archives in
Unix, supports a `z' option which can automatically deal with
compressed and gzip'ed files.

    Dale> Thankss, I'm really under the gun to get this server
    Dale> connected to a T1 and get a classroom set up. And I just
    Dale> need some startup help. Once I get going I'm pretty sure I
    Dale> can do it.

Good luck.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

Many people think that history is a dull subject. Dull? Is it "dull"
that Jesse James once got bitten on the forehead by an ant, and at
first it didn't seem like anything, but then the bite got worse and
worse, so he went to a doctor in town, and the secretary told him to
wait, so he sat down and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited,
and then finally he got to see the doctor, and the doctor put some
salve on it? You call that dull?  -- Jack Handey