Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 20:44:04 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie Q: Packages or Ports?

On 1/19/00, 8:05:27 PM, "Michael Rothenberg"=20
<rothenberg@automationonline.com> wrote regarding Newbie Q: Packages or =

Ports?:

> I read about a problem going through packages and /stand/sysinstall=20
and the
> reply was go try it through the ports collection. So far I have=20
installed 2
> things from ports and not a thing from packages.... what is the=20
difference
> between them? Is one better then the other?

> Enjoy!

> -Michael

Dear Michael Rothenberg,

personally, I use the ports as much as possible.=20

The reason for this: please install one and have a look at the way it=20
works. To accomplish this, you might want to read "man script", and=20
record your port session.

The port mechanism adapts a piece of software to your *specific*=20
system. After reading the handbook on this topic, if you want to learn=20
about the "gory" details, you might want to have a look at the=20
bsd.port.mk file, which is found in /usr/ports/Mk .

One short off-topic consideration.=20
The Ports Collection is not only a means of easily installing and=20
using ported software, but also represents the work, endeavo(u)r and=20
passions of the best FreeBSD-ers; in other words, it is the Living=20
Spirit of the FreeBSD Community.=20

Best regards,
Salvo

Please note: myfakedomain =3D=3D=3D> neomedia.it to e-mail to me.       =
=20