Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 2003 12:08:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet.com>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Re: Native JDK with libthr/libkse

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Alexey Zelkin wrote:

> hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 05:48:15AM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>
> > I was more interested in the statement that "jdk is only guaranteed
> > to work with libc_r" that one of the Java developers posted.  I
>
> It only means that I can guarantee correctly working product in
> environment there're it was tested (i.e. at user threads only level).
>
> Don't get me wrong -- I'll be happy to try libthr and libpthread as
> soon as I'll be able to do it.  Local problems here prevents me
> from complete cvsup right now :-(  Also I have to make complete
> pass of TCK tests (at least VM tests -- more than 8000 testsets)
> before saying anything.
>
> > took it to mean that the implementation of our jdk is geared
> > towards libc_r (perhaps knowing internal stuff about how libc_r
> > works).  I don't want anything like that to stop us, and we
> > can add some common APIs to the threads libraries if needed
> > to support it.
>
> I have spent a lot of time to get rid libc_r internals usage
> in jdk14.  pthread_attr_get_np() was a conclusion and allowed me
> to switch from API to ABI compat mode.

I looked at the patches for jdk14 and they include the patches for
jdk13.  The patchset does include pthread_private.h ahd does
examine internal thread state as well as access registers
directly from the thread structure.  This is not portable across
thread libraries.

For the jdk to work across thread libraries, it can't include
private header files and can only use the pthread APIs.

--
Dan Eischen