Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 01:15:22 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Joachim Kuebart <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VFAT32

> I'm also willing to test VFAT 32 code, but I don't find it in my
> -current tree. I'm also not subscribed to hackers anymore. Could
> someone please point me to the VFAT32 patches?

If your copy of -current is up to date (within the last day or so),
then the msdosfs code should be able to read/write FAT32 filesystems
such as those created by Win95 OSR2 and the Win98 beta.

I have not exercised this extensively, but it does appear to work.
Volunteers with expendable FAT32 filesystems and some time up their
sleeves are enthusiastically requested to exercise this code as much as
possible.

If you're not sure whether you *have* a FAT32 filesystem, try the
following:

Under Win95, open a DOS window and start fdisk.  (No, you're not going
to write on anything).

If fdisk doesn't ask you a question about "large filesystem support",
then forget it - you have an older version that does not support FAT32.

If fdisk *does* ask the question, answer Yes.  The select the option to
display your current partitions.  If a partition that you *know* has a
FAT filesystem on it is listed as having the type "UNKNOWN" (rather
than FAT16), then that is a FAT32 filesystem.

Again, be careful.  Dmitrij has obviously tested this code, but it
should stil be regarded as experimental at this time.