Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:22:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: StarOffice 5.1 - the sequel

On 13-Oct-99 at 12:06, Mark Ovens (mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org) wrote:

> On the one occasion I allowed it to finish (~10 mins) it took me
> to the registration page. I select the OS (Linux :( ) and language
> then clicked the "register" button. After many more minutes of slow
> data transfer it just returned to the same page, no mention of
> having successfully registering.
>
> So, questions.
>
> Is the info you enter during the install supposed to be for automatic
> registration?

In the pre-Sun days when a registration key was required, the info
you sent to generate the key had to match the info in the running
SO.  But the info is also automatically included or used as defaults
in various other places.  (Basicly, it fills in your entry in your
AddressBook.)

> Why are the data transfer rates so slow? (I'm not using Netscape
>  or anything else at the same time).

You might get better answers to this in the staroffice newsgroups
at starnews.sun.com.  They readily admit that the browser is
somewhat crude and completely unoptimized at this point.  (Several
of the list members have expressed the hope that Sun will replace
the StarOffice browser core with the Mozilla core when it becomes
sufficiently stable.)

It is also possible that there's some interaction with the Linux
mode that is exacerbating the problem.

> Does the fact that "Register SO" is still on the task list mean
> that I have not successfully registered it?

It probably just means that you haven't manually checked it off as
having been done.  This might have been handled automatically in
the pre-Sun versions that actually required a registration key.
But now that registering is optional I suspect that it doesn't
actually have any good way to tell whether you've registered or not.

-Pat