Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 11:13:12 +2
From:      "Irvine Short" <ishort@pcm.co.za>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, emulation@freebsd.org
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDI DOS emulator

Mike / All

Sorry to have offended you, it seems you have been working hard on
PCEMU and I was misled into thinking that there was no useful DOS
emulation for FreeBSD by the following message Jordan Hubbarb
posted back in April:

#Some of you may recall some coy comments on my part a few weeks back
#about something being on the way vis-a-vis DOS emulation for FreeBSD
#and that we shouldn't be too quick to jump on the Linux dosemu
#bandwagon.

#My reasons for refusing to elaborate with more details on this until
#now were simply that I did not want to jeopardize my negotiations with
#BSDI through Keith Bostic, whom I approached at USENIX '96 about a
#possible "partnership" arrangement whereby we would get their DOS
#emulator, something FreeBSD has needed for quite awhile, and BSDI
#would get a bunch of extra people hacking on it, improving it in
#various ways and, of course, feeding those changes back to BSDI as
#part of the bargain.

I will certainly give PCEMU a whirl.

> #define MAJOR_ANNOYANCE
> Are you interested in actively participating in the porting of this
> program?  If not, I suggest you either a) go away, or b) offer me and/or
> Sean (more likely Sean) a healthy sum of money and we'll drop everything
> else and get onto it.
>
> > Irvine Short
>
> Until then, it may be of interest that I've just added EMS support to the
> PCEMU package; look for it to be committed after the 2.1.5 freeze is
> over.  If speed isn't critical, PCEMU is actually a _very_ useful tool.

Regards,

Irvine Short

http://www.pcm.co.za/homepage/ishort/irv_home.html

     Technical Support
     Professional Computer Manufacturers
     Cape Town, South Africa
Tel: ++27-21-235084         Fax ++27-21-235089