Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 19:52:24 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XML interface to CVS

> From: "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
> To: Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
> Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:14:34 -0500
> Subject: Re: XML interface to CVS
> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>
> On 26 Mar 2002 at 19:15, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
>
> >     How is the recursion used? I guess I wouldn't have to ask this
> >     question if I knew what FP does for the ports tree. :) (Not that I
> >     don't have a rough idea, but I don't know the internals.)
>
> In the definitions of the tree.  I have one table which contains
> everything within the source tree.  A given row will refer to another row
> within the table as the parent.  Items in the root directory have no
> parent.

    ok. this can be done with any RDBMS, but it requires more queries,
    naturally.  :)

> >     Example:
> >     OpenBSD ports collection FP-site is started. Does it make any sense
> >     to load the complete history of the tree when FP is a "remind me"
> >     service?
> >     Looks to me like it's not that useful...
> >     I mean, it's quite nice to keep older revisions for some time, but I
> >     don't really grok the need to load the complete history of a CVS
> >     tree upon its registration.
> >
> >     Explanation?
>
> The FP2 database is initially populated from HEAD (there is only one ports
> tree, HEAD).

    That isn't what I asked about. FreshPorts' purpose is to send out
    mails to registered users when ports they 'watch' change. Plus,
    one can browse a listing of recent changes on a web. Loading the
    whole history of the tree looks like feeding old news into a
    newsticker service. What good is it?

> > > This feature would probably have a bigger effect on FreshSource than
> > > FreshPorts, but the capability would useful for both.
> >
> >     Again: do you want to store old revisions?
>
> Especially so for FreshSource.  The database does not store the actual
> file contents, merely the fact that revision X of file Y exists.  This was
> a capability added with FP2.

    See above.

> > > [4] - http://www.FreshSource.org/
> >
> >     What's the $CVSROOT? :)
>
> I fear my brain is fried from a 5am start today...

    I'd like to look at the source. Is there a cvs repository with anon
    access?

> >     XML is indeed useful in this situation, because it allows for for
> >     quite a variety of revision-control systems: one could write an app
> >     to get the info out of a Perforce repo, or a SVN one...
>
> I hadn't thought of that.  I was just looking for an easy way for CVS.
>
> BTW: I've been directed to this perl interface to CVS, which does provide
> a working base for an API:
>
>     http://people.freebsd.org/~eivind/CVSFile-0.2.tar.gz

    Unfortunately I don't speak perl.

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
7:33PM up 2 days, 3:18, 14 users, load averages: 0.03, 0.05, 0.00