Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 20:26:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Craig <craig@cheetahusa.net>
Cc:        Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make world??

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Craig wrote:

> Steven Lake wrote:
> > 	Forgive me for asking this, cause I probubly should know how to do
> > this, but what exactly does "make world" do?  I'm assuming it's something
> > I need to do to update my installed binaries after reading recent posts.
> > How do I go about doing this?  I've never dealt with this before and this
> > definately struck my curiousity.

make world updates the base system from source code.  It is
equivalent to running make buildworld && make installworld,
and usually you want to do that in those two steps.

> You're right. I recommend starting at the beginning of the handbook but
> here is the intro to what you're asking:
> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig.html
>
> And checking the FreeBSD site is usually the best place to look for most
> any information about FreeBSD. I think that's not coincidental.

Building a kernel also requires source code, but make world does
not build a new kernel.  Knowing how to build a kernel is good, as
a new kernel should be built when you upgrade the base system.

You get source code using the cvsup program.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC