Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:31:56 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        "Mark S. Reichman" <reichman@twcny.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Requesting a hostname from a dhcp server

You can't request a hostname that isn't in the dhcp server's config file.
(Well you can request it, but the server can't serve it.)  If you can
get the dhcp server admin to give you a static IP address then you can
set up your own DNS service to map your own DNS name (hostname) to
your IP address.  But if your IP address is going to be changing it's
going to be hard for your DNS to keep up with a moving target.  Generally
not worth the trouble.  If you want a fixed DNS name (hostname), the first
thing to do it get a fixed IP address.

-Mitch