Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 18:56:41 -0700
From:      <wbs@infowest.com>
To:        Douglas R.Spindler <spindler@dnai.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A question from a convert from Windows to FreeBSD

I've heard that there are improvements to the install program coming for 5.0
I am curious to know what they are.  I personally am working on a program
to help with the initial partitioning of a Win32 VFAT drive - my guess is that
most first timers are going to fall into that category - wanting to add FreeBSD
to some Win32 system.  I'm not going to even try to touch the NTFS problem.

The process as it now exists requires several steps I want to bring it all
together under one Windows program that will fetch FIPS and the boot disk
and prompt the user through the process of defragging, running FIPS and
booting from the boot floppies - except I want to revive the program that used
to be able to boot from DOS.

The scary part here though, is for people that are overwhelmed or intimidated
the install instructions, are they going to be able to use and maintain the
system.  I don't know.  There are many degrees more of idiot proofing that are
needed before FreeBSD could be turned loose on the general public.  But I want
to pursue that dream.