Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:12:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marty Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing X

On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Sue Blake wrote:

> The first steps are basically: install X,

Ok - what would be *really* helpful would be some sort of instructions
on how to install X.  Is it available as a package or a port, what is
needed in preparation, where to get it... - a complete break
down of the steps required.

> make sure your path includes X
> (you'll probably see how to change it if you edit your ~/.profile and log
> in again), run xf86config as root (very carefully! a wrong answer can fry
> your monitor so run it again if you made a mistake), and then as a humble
> user type 'startx' and see if it works. Use Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to get out
> of X if you can't see another way. If the screen seems happy, use
> Ctrl-Alt-+ (that's the plus on the numeric keypad) a few times slowly to
> see how easy it is to cycle through the available resolutions.

That helps too.  I assume by including "X" in my path you mean
"/usr/X11R6"?

> Next: you need to install and configure a 'window manager' to make it work
> nicely. Out of the box it has an old plain window manager called twm but
> you're sure to want something better. The one called fvwm2 is good to
> start with (install from the FreeBSD packages collection) and experiment
> with other ones after the basics are a bit more familiar. Hint: click on
> the background with different mouse buttons to get menus, including one
> that'll let you exit gracefully. By now you'll be interested in colour
> depth as well as resolution, so try changing to something like
> 'startx -- -bpp 16' to get more colours

That's really helpful too.  I would recommend just pasting the above
instructions directly into the FAQ or handbook.

> Would it help much to have a brief summary like this in the
> Handbook or FAQ? Raise enough hands and it'll happen.

I think it would definitely help.  A brief overview, with a few specifics
to point people in the right direction would be a great help.

(BTW - I still have yet to successfully install X. Now that I have the
above info, I will try again this weekend.  Just for fun, I'll let you
know how I make out)

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
                      - Confucius