Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 20:08:50 -0700
From:      Robert Clark <Clark@open.org>
To:        pius@ienet.com
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.7 box freezes occasionally

The last time I ran into something like this, a dumbass local
administrator was using the same hub port twice.

IE:Port fifteen was a normal port, but port sixteen was a crossed over
version of port fifteen. Both ports were in service, and it was creating
unseen collisions.

A collision at that level can cause weird effects. (The CS/CMA stuff
doesn't even see them.) You might see FCS errors if you have the tools.

(Hint hint: these unseen collisions can be a one-way problem, and cause
larger packets more grief. The longer a packet is, the more likely that
it will get hit.)

I've also seen misconfigured routers bounce packets until they expire.
Similar weird kind of effects there.

What kind of network card? Swapping out the cabling can sometimes help.

(I'm tired, gotta run. [RC])