Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:01:26 +0100
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        Matthias Apitz <matthias.apitz@oclc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compiling H.323 client Ekiga from its SVN repository

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 04:22:26PM +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> THIW, during the last few days I've started a porting of Ekiga, see
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/net/ekiga/pkg-descr
> http://www.ekiga.org/

a bit of a self advertising here, but the video support in
asterisk (trunk version, 'chan_oss' driver) is working
reasonably well now, and lets you run video calls using a
variety of codecs (basically all those supported by libavcodec+x264),
and there is a rudimentary gui using SDL (even capable of
displaying on AALIB!).
Input is from V4L1 webcams (tried linux-kmod-compat +gspca, I believe
it should work with the 'pwc' driver that you mention),
or from the X11 screen through an embedded x11-grabber (convenient
for testing).

It does have some interoperability problems, but no worse than
those that i found in many similar apps including ekiga,
linphone, openwengo, x-lite. Even the windows softphones
usually have all sort of crashes when pointed to each other
(for the records, the best piece of software i tried in
windows was kapanga).

cheers
luigi