Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 19:29:29 -0600
From:      Jason Smith <jasonsmi@TTACS.TTU.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Welcome to the FreeBSD Documentation Server

I am trying to set my Macintosh running OS X version 10.1.2 to connect
to our college LAN at 10base-T full-duplex.  Here is what "ifconfig en0"
gives me:

en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,b6,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         inet 129.118.187.9 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 129.118.187.255
         ether 00:0a:27:7e:70:b6
         media: autoselect (10baseT/UTP <half-duplex>) status: active
         supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex>
10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex>

I know that full-duplex is supported by our LAN, and I know that I am
not going through a hub.

I have tried the command "ifconfig en0 media 10baset/utp mediaopt
full-duplex" and it returns:

ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Operation not supported

Does this mean that I cannot set it to full-duplex even as root?  I know
that the version of FreeBSD OSX uses is out of date.  Could this be
something that wasn't allowed in the older version that X uses?