Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 11:27:07 -0700
From:      "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Building on seperate box?

I've seen some mention on this list of doing builds (like a make
world)on a seperate machine from the target system. Since in my case
the target is a 486 DX2/66 with 32 MB RAM and a pretty small hard
drive (it's a headless firewall box), I'm obviously interested in
being able to compile on a seperate machine.

How does one go about doing compilation on a seperate machine- in
particular, I'd like to know any pointers about building a kernel and
a doing a make world on a seperate machine.

Also, how long does it take to do a make world? I've recompiled my
kernel twice on my 486 and it takes about 2-3 hours total, including
the "make depend" step. I shudder to think what it would take to
build the whole thing from source. I was planning on a second FreeBSD
box on a P90 with 32 MB RAM, but that's also for a firewall. I'm
thinking about installing FreeBSD on my PIII 550 in a seperate
partition just so I can do things like builds and so on for my other,
slower systems.

Thanks for any info and/or pointers.

Regards,

Corey Snow