Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 01:13:17 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>, Umesh Krishnaswamy <umesh@juniper.net>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Spoofing multicast addresses

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Wes Peters wrote:

> Don Lewis wrote:
> > A good reason for putting these checks in their present location is
> > that it gets them out of the main code path.  Under normal circumstances,
> > the vast majority of the incoming packets will be for established
> > connections and it wasteful to do unnecessary checking on these packets.
>
> But that is exactly NOT the case when being attacked with a SYN flood
> or something like that.  Perhaps it would be advantageous to trip a flag
> if we hit the bandwidth limiting rate and do the checks much earlier only
> if we're under attack?

I'm not sure that really matters.  Since (nearly) any packet will undergo
the pcb lookup, reducing the overhead of multicast packets wouldn't make
much difference - attackers can just use non-multicast packets.

Does anyone have an idea on what the performance impact of the multicast
checks really is?  Just having a single check at the top of the code would
be nice from a readability standpoint.

Speaking of stream, I wonder if proper multicast checks are done for icmp

Mike "Silby" Silbersack