Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 22:24:53 +0000
From:      Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, 026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca (Michael Richards)
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cat exploit

On Sep 10, 10:45am, "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
> > Is it just me or did everyone miss the point of Jay's message?
>
> Rather, it described a symtom common to most VT100 compliant terminal
> emulators and something very clearly under the "well don't DO that then"
> category.  It's nothing new at all and if you're not sure of the
> contents of a file, don't just blindly cat it to your screen.

It might not be new, but it's certainly subtle and not well known.
Lets imagine there were a buffer overflow in some editor which
could be exploited by opening a file with a certain header and
contents.  If someone claimed this were dangerous would "well
don't edit arbitrary files, look at them in less first" be
an appropriate response?

Niall

--
Niall Smart, rotel@indigo.ie.
Amaze your friends and annoy your enemies: