Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:59:23 +0200
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Ashby Gochenour <freebsd@intelos.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd and cisco

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 07:54:41AM -0500, Ashby Gochenour wrote:
> Tony,
> Thank you for the helpful info about the tcpdump and udp port.
> I checked and I do have syslog running on port 514:
>
> Port       State       Service
> 111/udp    open        sunrpc
> 514/udp    open        syslog
>
> I also have the router.log in /var/log and is owned by root with wheel
> group. Would this be preventing syslogd to log? I thought it would log as
> syslogd runs under root UID:
>
> root      115  0.0  0.1   928  732  ??  Ss   10:47AM   0:00.42 syslogd
>
> Hm. I am running out of ideas on this one.
> I don't understand what I could be missing.
> Any further ideas are well appriciated!

You kill -hupped the syslogd when you changed the config-file?
And running syslogd in debugging mode (man syslogd) should give
you information about what is going on internally.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis   |              Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
edwin@mavetju.org |           Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions: