Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 20:46:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:      mike grommet <mgrommet@ns.insolwwb.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Use of Freebsd machine as a dial up mail server?

A client of ours uses a, shall we say, third party piece of software for
providing mail service to his entire network.  It dials in periodically
and picks up email via smtp and his individual machines pop3 the mail
over to their local PCs.  Unfortunately the software he is using stinks.
(no names).  I am suggesting the use of a small (486 dx2)
freebsd mail server to dial in and pick up mail via smtp just like what he
has now...

Now, I've used freebsd for lots of things but I just need to make sure it
can do a few things...

#1 It must be able to disconnect on some sort of idle timer?  say 5
minutes or so idle time?

#2 its going to have a local network ip number on his network (192.0.2.1
or somesuch) but must "acquire" another internet type ip address when he
dials in... I dont see why this would be a problem, but I want to make sure?

is there a method I can use to "kick" the mail server into sending to my
clients machine upon connect or am I forced to wait until sendmail
reprocesses the queue?  either way is acceptable, but the first is
preferred of course.

Its just _got_ to be more reliable than what hes using, as what he is
using doesnt work well at all...

Thanks for advice guys!