Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:59:44 -0500
From:      "Steve Brown" <gtabug@prayforwind.com>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: home pc use

Well, yes I'd say FreeBSD is a "reasonable alternative" to Windows for a
home/desktop. Is it -The Best- for this particular job? Maybe not, but it
does what I need without ever crashing, price is right, and it's excellent
for learning networking etc. I like Linux too (Slackware, Debian... not the
GUI ones, could never get any of them to successfully install). Finally I
found FreeBSD's FTP install, online doc's, and configuration slightly less
"geeky"
than Linux's (wanna see geeky? try a Debian install ;) works great once past
it though).
I'm not familiar with NT/2000 so I can't comment there.

I'm not a "Microsoft hater", but I did make the mistake of buying a new OEM
machine with Win98 pre-installed back when Win98 was unfit for a desktop or
anything else outside a test-lab (HP replaced entire system twice thinking
the PC was bad). So yes, I looked for a non-Microsoft alternative. Now that
they've fixed Win98 it gets the other half of my drive... it now goes
several hours before freezing up and usually reboots/shuts down when asked
to do so. I keep it for 3 reasons: Internet Explorer is the best browser,
OK'ing new hardware before delving into FreeBSD docs/archives/newsgroups to
try and figure out how to make it work, and because I like to have the
choice.

FreeBSD:    multiuser, webserving & networks, stable, powerful
Windows:    friendly to non-geeks, hardware & software compatability