Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 14:59:47 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Cc:        Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>, "Hudson, Henrik H." <hhudson@eschelon.com>, "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: qpopper

Christopher Farley wrote:

> Bill Moran (wmoran@mail.iowna.com) wrote:
> > Personally, I've never called them stupid. I will, however, accuse them
> > of breaking protocol support in their applications in order to promote
> > 100% use of Microso~1 protocols & software to their potential clients.
> >
> > Let's see ... if POP3 does strange things with Outlook, the uninitiated
> > will fall for propaganda that it's because POP3 doesn't work right, then
> > we can convince everyone that they should be using Exchange servers ...
> >
> > Gee, Microso~1 has never done anything like that, have they?
>
> I think we're all in agreement that Microsoft is *evil*. But I'm
> still quite certain that Outlook implements the POP3 protocol pretty
> well, at least with respect to tracking message IDs, and preventing
> the repeated download of previously fetched messages.

I don't use Outlook so I can't vouch that it does or doesn't work. The
only clients I have that are using it don't use the "leave messages on
server" option, so I can't vouch for the workingness or non-workingness
of that either.
If you've used it and got it working, I'll simply have to take your word
for it.
I'm simply saying that the odd behaviour described is a sounds like the
weird inconsistencies that Mircoso~1 puts in their products to break
compatibility without "officially" violating a protocol. It could be a
bug, intentional misfeature or simply a misconfig on the part of the
person using it, I don't know.

-Bill