Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 12:23:36 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD-RW long filenames/rw filesystem.

[Redirected to -questions where it belonged.]

On Thu, Dec 30, 1999 at 02:19:58PM -0500, Kenny Drobnack wrote:
> A couple weeks ago I got a CD-RW drive, and decided to try it out under
> all the different OS's I use. In FreeBSD, the only way (it seems) to use
> it, is grab a bunch of stuff you want to backup/record and use mkisofs and
> cdrecord to dump it onto a CD.  Everything I read seemed to indicate that
> this method limits you to the 8.3 filename format of iso9660 and all
> Rockridge does is add file/group permissions and ownership.  is there any
> CD recording utilities/formats that can do long filenames (hopefully with
> Unix permissions)?

This is incorrect.  Rockridge adds long file names on OSes that support
the extensions (i.e. UNIX).  If you want them to work with windows you
can use mkhybird to add Joliet extensions the disk as well.

> 	Next question. Under Windows, there was a program called Adaptec
> Direct CD that pretty much allowed you to treat a CD-RW disc as "a really
> big floppy disk" (I think that was from the docs). You can save a file to
> the CD-RW and then delete it later if you want to.  Would it be possible,
> or even feasible, to implement something like this in FreeBSD?

It should be possiable, but no one has done it to my knowledge.

-- Brooks

--
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one"