Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:36:40 -1000
From:      ktom@mui.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.3 release, kernel rebuilding comment

I'm not sure if this is the same for anyone else, but it's a problem I
came across.  it may be old news, but perhaps someone can
benefit from it.

I tried building the boot floppies from the cd, using the makeflp.bat
that's on the cd.  fdimage didn't seem to work very well.

after many attempts, I finally used "rawrite" which seemed to get
further along.  however, some errors still kept coming up.  so
finally, i tried to download the boot images from the website.  it
took a while to figure out, but the downloaded images didn't work
quite well, and a successive download finally got it right.  Things
like it not recognizing devices that it used to ... etc.

one more recreation of the mfsroot using rawrite finally did the job.

on a side note, I've noticed that to use the second ethernet card,
(in my case ed0 and ed1) can't be done from the boot floppies.  not
unless you're using 2 different types of ethernet cards.

ADSL required the second ethernet card in order to work properly
(dhcp i guess).

Hope this helps someone

ken