Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 2002 13:59:05 -0400
From:      "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        tolmin@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: motherboard for freebsd 5.0 server

-----Original Message-----
From: "gsfgs sgsgsg" <tolmin@hotmail.com>
To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 15:55:22 +0000
Subject: motherboard for freebsd 5.0 server

Hi,

I need an answer on this.
http://tw.giga-byte.com/products/8iexp.htm
I intend to use IDE RAID 0 or 1 with a SCSI sony DAT 12/24gb.
Thise services will run on:(DSL)router,NAT, firewall, proxy, mail, ftp,=20
web,apache,SSL, PHP, amavis, antivirus.
120gb disks, 1gb ram, amd or intel

We are a small company in Slovenia

Please am desperate nobody work in Slovenia with BSD.

BYE

VLado

I'm presuming the Promise ATA133 RAID on this=20
board is the PDC20276 onboard chip or similar. =20
I'm happily running 4-STABLE (a/k/a 4.7 release=20
candidate) on a motherboard using that chip, so=20
if you decide to do IDE RAID you should be OK.

If you are indeed going to run a server, you=20
will likely want to run RAID 1 rather than=20
RAID 0.  RAID 0 would give increased performance
that you are unlikely to need; RAID 1 would
provide increased reliability that you are very
likely to need if others (company employees,
customers, etc.) are going to depend on this
server.

Jud