Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:45:05 +0200
From:      Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Heiner <h.eichmann@gmx.de>
Subject:   getfsent(3) and spaces in fstab

--ZRyEpB+iJ+qUx0kp

Hi -hackers,

discussing some modifications for the sysutils/linneighborhood port,
Heiner Eichmann and me came across the following problem:

getfsent(3) will fail, if the name of the file system or the mount point
contains whitespaces, be them escaped or not (file system names with
spaces occur quite of with smbfs mounts).

I searched the mail archives and the PR data base, but apart from this
email here

http://freebsd.rambler.ru/bsdmail/freebsd-questions_2003/msg05947.html

this problem seems to be either unknown or rather well-known but
accepted.

I know there is workaround which is to create symbolic links for the
paths that contain spaces, but to my mind this is not a real solution.

Before taking any further action:

Do file system names and mount points with whitespaces violate the
specification of fstab? If so, the least thing I'd suggest is the document
this restriction.

Or should one extend 'getfsent' such that is able to cope with those
whitespaces? I am not sure whether this would have any further
implications so I am asking here.

Cheers,
 Simon

--ZRyEpB+iJ+qUx0kp