Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 18:33:07 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: USB/umass in addition to "other" SCSI

On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:

> Hello -scsi:
>
> How do I "connect" a USB "disk" when I already have a SCSI
> HBA & other peripherals installed & operating?

It should appear of its own accord when usbd sees it.  However, this
doesn't appear to work properly at present.

>  And what will
> (should :) be its device-name (in /dev)?

/dev/daX*  where X is the next available number

> USB devices in this case can be a ZIP-250 USB and/or a USB
> digital camera (which mounts just fine in Linux 2.4.x & is
> seen as a MS-DOS filesystem).
>
> Umass, scbus, da & pass are configured into the running kernel.
> OS is RELENG_4 as of 1 July.
>
> "Camcontrol rescan 0" doesn't show it(?)  But I'm thinking
> this will be a different bus(?)

Yes.

> & "camcontrol rescan 1" gives
> me an ioctl() error.

I haven't found a method that works other than to have the device present
at boot time.

> I'm guessing that I should probably "wire down" my devices
> (or at least the USB one?) in my kernel config, but before I

More important to wire down the hard drives - having your root filesystem
mounted from the camera is more traumatic than having the camera pop up at
an unexpected id.

> do that I could use some input from Someone Who Know More
> About This Than I(tm). :)  That, & I'm not sure about the
> kernel-config syntax for this...

I am far from an expert in this area, but I am successfully using a USB
smartmedia reader on a system that also has SCSI discs.

I have the disc wired down:

# SCSI Controllers
device      sym0        # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets)
# SCSI peripherals
device      scbus       # SCSI bus (required)
device      da      # Direct Access (disks)
device      sa      # Sequential Access (tape etc)
device      cd      # CD
device      pass        # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
# Wire down the boot disc to avoid being usurped by USB peripherals!
device  scbus0 at sym0
device  da0 at scbus0 target 0 unit 0

If your camera has the usual formatting for smartmedia or compact-flash,
it will have an fdisk table and a DOS filesystem in the first slice, so
you want something like:

mount -t msdos /dev/da1s1 /mnt

to mount it when the drive has popped up at da1.