Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 09:00:40 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "David Johnson" <djohnson@acuson.com>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ExBSD

From my point of view (having done a few hundred FreeBSD installs)
there isn't much to pick from between Windows & FreeBSD installation.
The difficulty comes trying to configure X / sound / printers / ppp /
etc.

There are two factors here ... firstly, the original use of unix
appears to have been as a research / development tool rather than as a
mass market desktop / gameplaying platform. Developers & other
assorted geeks will accept horribly user hostile things like vi, lpr,
X, ppp, etc, that certainly couldn't be described as "user friendly"
to non-experienced users.  I'm not suggesting FreeBSD can be (or
should be) suitable for everyone ...  there are even countless "levels
of enlightenment" within the faithful. I'm quite impressed by its
performance for webservers etc, but I couldn't imagine using FreeBSD
in its current form as a workstation. For those of us wanting
relatively basic functionality, X is a useless poxridden waste of
space,  vi is an exercise in needless complexity, lpr is an extremely
messy abortion etc etc.

Secondly, the traditional documentation was written by extremely
experienced users who had long forgotten to mention the countless
minor but critical points essential to someone less knowledgeable. Man
pages may have relevance to the former but are utterly useless to the
latter. Thankfully things have improved recently, at least the
handbook has & various other books / resource sites have appeared to
help fill the gap .... however man pages in general are still written
in martian / venusian / whatever & following the time honored
tradition of  emulating "books with blank pages apart from chapter
headings".

FWIW, my thoughts are that "task based" documentation would help both
newbies & "real world" sysadmins. People who are unfamiliar with the
terminology / history / ethos / culture / blah blah don't always have
the time / inclination / ability to devote days in a search for
information needed to get something working "NOW".  eg I wrote the
Pedantic FreeBSD for people without the knowledge or time to read
several books before starting an installation. The typical user here
has little need to know more than how to boot, how to shutdown, & how
to "adduser / rmuser", so why subject them to reading heaps of stuff
that will go way over their head anyway ??
 I think this is probably the main reason that "user-freindly"
resource sites have proliferated ... they
provide a means for users to do the task at hand without needing to
become an instant expert.
It may be that the present arrangement is the best overall .... the
experts have their preferred docs format in the man pages & everyone
else has the handbook / user-friendly resource sites.