Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 18:56:44 -0400
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Brian Handy <handy@lambic.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Confusion

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 08:56:54AM -0600, Brian Handy wrote:
> >> Oh yea, dmesg might be useful.  Attached at end.  Anyway, here's the
> >> problem:  When I dismount and disconnect that last box, remove it from
> >> fstab, put terminators after externalbox #1, I find that upon reboot
> >> FreeBSD screams mightily, says I need to do an fsck on drives 3 and 4,
> >> and dumps me in single-user mode.
>
> I figured it out.  I just got a practical lesson in CAM:  SCSI devices
> aren't wired down to specific IDs, e.g. when I turned off the one set of
> drives, the other two drives went from devices 3 and 4 to ... 1 and 2:
>
> /dev/da2s1c             /c              ufs     rw              1       2
> /dev/da1s1c             /d              ufs     rw              1       2
>       ^^^

Always seems so obvious once you figure it out.

You can wire down devices if you wish. From the LINT kernel,

  # The syntax for wiring down devices is:

  # device        scbus0 at ahc0          # Single bus device
  # device        scbus1 at ahc1 bus 0    # Single bus device
  # device        scbus3 at ahc2 bus 0    # Twin bus device
  # device        scbus2 at ahc2 bus 1    # Twin bus device
  # device        da0 at scbus0 target 0 unit 0
  # device        da1 at scbus3 target 1
  # device        da2 at scbus2 target 3
  # device        sa1 at scbus1 target 6

> So, thanks for the help.  Still unclear why partition 'c' is so bad,
> please let me know.

For hitorical reasons, the c-partition is assumed to contain the
entire disk. The fstype should be 'unused.' Making the c-partition
less than the whole disk could really mess things up. I'm really not
sure how much damage making it have a fstype other than 'unused' could
cause, but I'd rather not try that experiment.