Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 17:43:11 +0000
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printer fiascos

> For what its worth, I am able to reproduce this problem on my system.
> Simply submit something to lpr, wait for the printer light to blink,
> and pull the paper tray.  The system hangs hard as described and does
> not return to normal until the paper tray is put back in.  I haven't
> been able to make it do anything while the printer has the system
> hung, so I haven't been able to track it down, yet.  However, I
> haven't had much time to spend on this problem, but thought I'd chime
> in a "me too" when I saw someone had the (apparently) same problem.
>
> I have an HP LaserJet 4 connected to the parallel port.
>
> I am running -current, and a buildworld as of about a week ago.
>
> -Brian
> --
> Brian Dean                                      brdean@mindspring.com

I will confirm this problem with the lpt driver.

Even worse, on my LaserJet IIIsi printer...  Not only did it hang the system,
but I went as far as turning the printer off, then back on.

THE SYSTEM REBOOTED.  There was no panic or other context to share.

I suspect it MAY have been related to the about of time it takes the LJ III
to cycle on a power-up.

Regardless, this is wholly unacceptable for a RELEASE.

FWIW, my dmesg follows to show the port-type, etc.

ppp0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
pps0: <Pulse per second Timing Interface> on ppbus0

Cheers,
-skots
--
Scott G. Akmentins-Taylor     InterNet: staylor@mrynet.com