Date:      Mon, 04 Sep 2000 14:28:09 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Nikita Proskourine <nop1@cornell.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with make world (Sunday)

Nikita Proskourine wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a newbie to FreeBSD development, so please bear with me. I am
> currently using FreeBSD-4.0 RELEASE. I did a fresh cvsup (using RELENG_4
> tag, that would get me a stable branch, right?) and "make world" on Sunday
> and the build failed somewhere in objc contribs for gcc.
>
> I made logs of the build and will send them later today. In the meantime, I
> was wondering if this is a known problem and whether there are workarounds
> for this.

You didn't read /usr/src/UPDATING. It tells you that you can try a
"make world" but if it fails don't complain until you have tried the
buildworld, build[install}kernel, installworld sequence. A lot changed
between 4.0 and 4.1. For example, a kernel build using the config is
not supported after a cvsup. It may work but there can be changes that
the buildkernel mode will process. Your kernel config file can be
different. You need to compare what you have against GENERIC.

It has been 4 or 5 days since I did a cvsup and all of the builds and
installs.

Kent

> Nikita.

Kent Stewart