Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 15:48:15 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: Do *you* have problems with floppies?

As Greg Lehey wrote:

> I've seen a lot of reports recently about problems with floppies under
> FreeBSD.  Now I can understand a lot of that: floppies must be the
> most unreliable data storage medium I can think of, not to mention the
> most expensive per byte.  But I'm getting the feeling that there is
> more to it than that, that possibly there's a bug in the floppy driver
> and that we're blaming it on the inherent unreliability of the medium.

Oh, Greg is going to take over maintenance of the FDC driver!
Congratulations! :-)

> I'm looking for indications which would point towards the driver.  One
> of these might be:
>
> 1.  Floppy formatted under <insert your OS here> on the same machine.
> 2.  FreeBSD runs into hardware problems with the floppy (typically
>     things like checksum errors).
> 3.  <insert your OS here> can read the entire floppy with no trouble.

There's exactly one unexplained record open where 1 - 3 does fit, and
i have yet to see more user input data for this case (or have to get
the drive and floppy controller myself for debugging).

Greg, please think a little more about reported problems before
starting this kind of postings.  What has been triggering this was
plainly and clearly something where a user had a problem with *the
BIOS* reading the floppy.  This should say enough about the media
quality...

> In addition, if you have any other evidence I haven't thought of which
> would also point to an error in the floppy driver, please contact me.

Good luck for fixing these errors...  And don't forget to verify your
changes on at least half a dozen of drives and controllers.

--
cheers, J"org