Date:      Wed, 24 May 2006 12:39:15 -0500
From:      Eric <heli@mikestammer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Implementing IMAP advice for first timer

Pete Slagle wrote:
> Eric wrote:
>
>> I recommend checking out dovecot as well. i switched from courier to
>> dovecot recently and couldnt be happier.
>
> What motivated you to switch, and how do you find that dovecot improves
> on courier-imap?
>
> Just curious, I have been considering trying dovecot, but courier works
> well enough that I haven't.

i heard about dovecot and the fact that it was faster so i started
looking into it, seeing how hard it was to convert, etc.

I am glad i did. it is a lot faster both via Horde+Imp and thunderbird.

Dont get me wrong, courier worked very well for me for a long time, but
dovecot uses less resources and is a lot faster.  its also only one port
vs several for courier if you use authlib and stuff.

check out the dovecot page for conversion info. it was very easy.

Eric