Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 2010 19:24:27 +0200
From:      Peter Boosten <peter@boosten.org>
To:        Modulok <modulok@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   {Spam?} Re: VLANs is this right?

On 5 jul 2010, at 18:16, Modulok wrote:

> Hopefully this doesn't get too garbled by various mail clients:
>=20
> Internet
> FreeBSD router
> (tagged frames)
>   switch
>   |    |
> vlan1 vlan2
> |        |
> hostA    hostB
>=20
> Criteria:
>    - HostA must never directly talk to HostB.
>    - Both hostA and hostB have an Internet connection.
>=20
> What I have to work with:
>    proCurve switch which supports VLANs.
>    2x Intel NICs in FreeBSD which support VLANs.
>=20
> I've never messed with VLANs before. This is all new to me. As I
> understand so far, this should be a simple matter of creating the
> vlans on the switch, assigning ports to their respective vlan in
> 'untagged' mode, and then assigning the port BSD connects to, as a
> 'tagged' member of both VLAN's? Then I'd create an IP alias on the
> internal FreeBSD NIC, so that it can talk to both networks over the
> same wire? Is this right?
>=20

Not entirely: the trunk (between switch and FreeBSD) will have the two =
different vlan tag id's, and you cannot differentiate between the two by =
doing 'normal' IP aliasing (yet done with ifconfig). The physical =
interface won't get an IP address at all, but the two virtual vlan =
interfaces will.

You can/must keep the two networks apart with a firewall (pf for =
instance).

Peter

--=20
Peter Boosten