Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 11:15:28 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        "'dustpika@hotmail.com'" <dustpika@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD AGP compatible???

Dustin Pika wrote:

> I recently bought a new Pentium II based, Win95 PC.
> Since Pentium II's feature AGP instead of PCI, will this
> prevent me from being able to run FreeBSD on my PC???

AGP means "Advanced Graphics Port" (I think). It's supposed that
AGP graphics adapters would benefit of a faster I/O than the PCI ones.

FreeBSD itself runs in "text mode", compatible with both PCI and
AGP cards. However, the X Window System (the XFree86 package
bundled with FreeBSD) may have problems with AGP adapters.
Note that XFree86 is _not_ part of FreeBSD; and it's also included
in most Linux distributions, so that you have the same problem
with AGP and Linux.

Last week XFree86 3.3.2 was released. Now, some X servers support
AGP cards. The Matrox Millenium II AGP, for example, is supported
by XFree86 3.3.2. The last release of FreeBSD (2.2.5) comes
with XFree86 3.3.1, but you can upgrade it easily to 3.3.2.
And "real soon" will be released FreeBSD 2.2.6; I think that
it will include XFree86 3.3.2.

You can find information about AGP graphics adapters supported
by XFree86 3.3.2 in http://www.xfree86.org.

-- JM
Jose M. Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del Pais Vasco              | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electronica     |
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-4-4647700 x2624
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-4-4858139