Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 21:57:59 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
To:        "John Telford" <j.telford@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: What name brand would you buy for a firewall/router ?

	John... take some simple insurance out on each box.  Replace the fans, hard
drives and power supplies before deploying them.  Should be much cheaper
than getting a machine that still has an on-site warranty just to move
packets between interfaces.

	Also, do you really want an outside technician working on your firewall
machines?  If anything, that's the one machine I wouldn't want anyone
touching, simply based on the fact that it's the keystone of the network.
Pull that box down, and your network security policy crumbles to dust.

> I don't see much written about PicoBSD (runs off a floppy ?) how
> reliable/configurable do you find it ?
> Thanks, John.

	I haven't heard that much about PicoBSD, but, I'm sure that it would be
worth exploring for a system like this.  Only problem I see there is that
floppy media may be more prone to failure than HDD media.

--- Andy