Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 10:56:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ed Alley <alley1@llnl.gov>
To:        lahaye@users.sourceforge.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD breaks my CD-Rom drive ?!?

On Sun Oct 07 2001 R. Lahaye <lahaye@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> ... CD-Rom driver became non-operational.

> ... I have attached below my "dmesg" output ...:

> pcm0: <ESS Solo-1E> port 0xec00-0xec03, 0xe800-0xe803,0xe400-0xe40f,
>           0xe000-0xe00f, 0xdc00-0xdc3f
>           irq 11 at device 17.0 on pci0

It looks like you are running an ESS sound board?

> acd0: CDROM <GCD-R580B> at ata1-master using PIO3

An old CDROM running PI03 (later ones use PI04).
I think the drivers know about the CDROM.

Question: Can you mount a CD9660 filesystem on the CDROM drive?

If so this would mean that the ATA/ATAPI drivers are not the problem.
It would then be the case that the problem is with your soundcard:

If you look in LINT which can be found in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
you will find entries about various bridge drivers for sound cards.
There is a driver called sbc that supports SoundBlaster, ESS, and etc.
It also gives an example entry for a soundblaster non-PnP isa card.
You will no doubt have to modify the port, irq, drq and flags
entries to correspond to your card. See the manpage pcm(4) and sbc(4)
for a discussion of these entries.

After you decide on the appropriate bridge driver, you need to make
a new kernel. See the handbook for this.

Good luck

		Ed