Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:48:59 -0700
From:      Victoria Welch <vikki@oz.net>
To:        freebsd questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FBSD Installation fails :(  Plse Help.

Hello all and TIA,

  I am attempting to install fbsd (4.1) on my personal machine.  I get
into the boot from the floppies until it reaches a point where it gives
a message along the lines of "Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI to stabilize",
I'm not sure that is exact, but close.  Unfortunately the paper I wrote
the message down on has disappeared and I have the machine doing other
things at this point :(.  If further or more specific information is
required, I'll be able to get at it a little later today or early
tomorrow at latest.

  I share this machine with windoz and red hat linux (30G drive).  I
think I might like to get red hat, but for now it is installed and
works, such as it does.

  I've looked for a solution to the problem with the SCSI, but so far it
is evading me :(.

  I have an adapted aha2940 (PCI) connected to an exabyte 8200sx in the
machine - no SCSI drives, no other devices other than the tape drive and
controller.

  FWIW:  I have no problems under either windoz or rh liniux relating to
the scsi card or drive.

  I am using the boot diskettes in preparation for the FTP install.
Done that on two other preliminary test systems here and I am *amazed*
it works SO WELL!

  The generic kernel may be the problem here, no real idea.

  For the time being I would prefer to boot fbsd off a boot diskette and
if all goes well I can add it to lilo (linux boot loader).

  Can fbsd use a linux swap partition or must it have its own?  If it
will use the one I already have set up for linux, it would be nice.

  Thanks very much for your time and effort in helping someone new get
going with this.

  For the moment I am not subscribed to this list, if you would be so
kind to CC me, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks & take care, Vikki.
--
Victoria Welch, WV9K, DoD#-13, SysAdmin SeaStar.org, vikki.oz.net
"Walking on water and developing software to specification are