Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:31:28 -0400
From:      "Jason Lavigne" <jlavigne@bwlogic.com>
To:        "'DanB'" <longterm@chatusa.com>, "'freebsd'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Freebsd Amanda?

> How can you tell if Amanda backup is running

ps -aux | grep amdump

> and where it is sending the backups to?

Check your amanda.conf file for your setup. The files are copied to a
holding disk first (before going to tape or what ever backup device you
are using). In amanda.conf look for
holdingdisk hd1 {
    comment "main holding disk"
    directory "/backup/amanda"  # where the holding disk is
    use 2048 Mb         # how much space can we use on it
                        # a non-positive value means:
                        #        use all space but that value
    chunksize 2Gb       # size of chunk if you want big dump to be
                        # dumped on multiple files on holding disks
                        #  N Kb/Mb/Gb split images in chunks of size N
                        #             The maximum value should be
                        #             (MAX_FILE_SIZE - 1Mb)
                        #  0          same as INT_MAX bytes
    }

cheers