Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 18:25:45 -0500
From:      Alex Nash <alex@zen.nash.org>
To:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unices are created equal, but...

> >   FreeBSD on UFS:
> >           2770803 bytes/second for writing the file
> >           3908495 bytes/second for reading the file
> >
> >   Linux on ext2fs:
> >           3220442 bytes/second for writing the file
> >           1950476 bytes/second for reading the file
>
>             ^^^^^^^
>
> Is that 2nd figure for reading the file right? Seems a bit dubious
> ... unless they're really doing something screwey, you should get
> higher speeds READING than writing ...

It's correct.  In fact, I just tried it 5 more times to be sure:

   1907889 bytes/second
   1899594 bytes/second
   1900282 bytes/second
   1873795 bytes/second
   1898218 bytes/second

The write speed hovered around 3.2MB/s as before.

I admit it's strange, but I also saw this on a P100 with an Adaptec
2940.  The reads would be (somewhere in the neighborhood of) 800K/s
slower than the writes.  After installing FreeBSD on that system,
the reads and writes fell within 100K/s of each other.

Alex