Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 01:00:25 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        kar_alerts@mglorysb.com
Cc:        Jason Oakley <waulok@bangrocks.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Large Hard Drive Trouble

K Karthik wrote:

> I have QUANTUM FIREBALLP AS40.0 - 40GB HDD, FreeBSD recognized only 38GB.
> I tried to format with other OSes like MS-Windows NT 4.0 which recognized
> only 35GB (NTFS).
>
> Right now, I am using the HDD with FreeBSD , the 2GB is hiding somehere.
>
> Kernel recognized:
> ad1: 38172MB <QUANTUM FIREBALLP AS40.0> [77557/16/63] at ata0-slave UDMA33

This seems to come up from time to time ...
38172MB * 1024 = 39088128 * 1024 = 4002624#### bytes
4002624#### / 1000000000 = 40G
It's the new math.
Actually, it's marketing bullshit. Apparently the marketing gurus have
taken it apon themselves to redefine what a gigabyte is so long as they
can use the information to make their drives look bigger. In reality,
that drive is only 37.2 GB. This is the same kind of nonsense that led
the US government to require that monitor advertisements announce the
true "viewable" screen size.
FreeBSD is detecting it correctly. In addition, formatted size will be
slightly smaller than unformatted size.

--
If a bird in the hand
is worth two in the bush,