Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 1995 16:17:58 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net
Subject:   Linux emulator working?

Does anyone have the emulator working under -stable?

Here's the steps I did:

1) Re-compiled and install a new kernel with COMPAT_LINUX and all of the
   SHM* options.

2) Install the Linux versions of ld.so, shlibs for normal stuff, and X
   libraries from the Slackware 2.3 disk on cdrom.com into
   /compat/linux/lib.

3) modload -e linux_init /lkm/linix_mod.o

4) Attempt to run a linux program, which dies with a core dump.

5) Ktrace of the output gives me this.

   184 ktrace   RET   ktrace 0
   184 ktrace   CALL  execve(0xefbfd88b,0xefbfd7f4,0xefbfd7fc)
   184 ktrace   NAMI  "./xinstall.linux"
   184 xinstall.linux RET   execve 0
   184 xinstall.linux CALL  getitimer(0xd7792)
   184 xinstall.linux NAMI  "/compat/linux/lib/ld.so"
   184 xinstall.linux RET   getitimer 0
   184 xinstall.linux PSIG  SIGSEGV SIG_DFL

OK, thinking maybe this program had something weird in it, I downloaded
executor which Bill Pechter already claimed success on, and I get the
exact same error. :(

What am I doing wrong?  What can I do to fix this?  I'm going to try to
get Linux-IDL running under FreeBSD to see how the performance compares
to the SPARC version we have.

Thanks!

Nate