Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 2008 21:58:22 +0200
From:      David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Performance research

--nextPart4248026.QdsbbB2Shf

Hi,

(If you want to skip to the questions (since this is a questions mailing=20
list :-) please see the 2nd last paragraph)

I am interested in the performance difference of using either -Os or -O2. =
=20
=46rom my preliminary research I have found that in most cases -Os=20
outperforms -O2 (and produces smalled binaries). =20

However this is only in a very isolated situation and does not make any cas=
e=20
for a system wide change therefore I would like to run some experiments to=
=20
measure the difference between the two flags. =20

I plan to use a live CD (with a system using 3GB) and having both the sourc=
e=20
and object tree in memory (so as to avoid the harddrive influencing the=20
times).  Since the CD is very small I am expecting caching to eliminate any=
=20
influence of the slow CD read times of any of the files required to build=20
world. =20

The tests will be automated by scripts with two CD's, the first with -Os an=
d=20
the second with -O2 binaries for the kernel and world (both amd64).  I am=20
running an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 and 3GB of ram (as mentioned before).  I am=
=20
hoping that only the execution speed will be measured without any other=20
factors influencing (such a lack of memory [and thus -Os having the=20
advantage]) the results. =20

Onto the questions:
1) Is there any other (better) tool I should use to measure the performance=
 of=20
building world (other than time)?
2) Since (I think) all of FreeBSD sources of aliassing safe (I have been=20
running a system without -fno-strict-aliassing and optimised for a while=20
without a problem) should I leave it out of the build flags (i.e.=20
CFLAGS=3D-Os -pipe)
3) Any other suggestions on refining this experiment?
4) Should this experiment produce potential, or conclusive, results any oth=
er=20
suggestions of experiments to run (perhaps a database or other flags?)=20

I will be posting my results (possible wiki page, or a particular mailing=20
list) after this weekend. =20

Thank you for your time. =20

David