Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 2001 10:52:23 +0100
From:      Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@sicfa.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   accent characters problems

Hello,

I'm sorry to ask that here, but I've been trying for hours to solve the problem.

Yesterday I tried to install XFree 4 and kde 2 on my 4-STABLE box, but it failed, so I downgraded to XFree3.3.6 and kde1.1.2. I'm not sure everything has been done properly, maybe some files has been left behind.

The accent characters aren't displayed the way they should. Blanks are displayed instead. What's very strange is that it removes the end of words : Fond d'ecran (with an accent on the E) is displayed "Fond d'" in the KDE Control Center menu. Affected applications are all KDE apps (KDE Control Center, Konsole, ...).

My config: Fonts in KDE : helvetica / iso-8859-1 for everything except fixed font : fixed / iso-8859-1. Keyboard map : Fr Language French Charset defaut.
Section "Files" in XF86Config
   RgbPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"

Another problem (maybe it's related): When I choose Linux in Options/Fonts in Konsole, It complains that "Font 'linux8x16' not found.".

Is there something to do to refresh the fonts database ? I have no idea, and the XFree document isn't really one with lot of information ...

Any answer would be strongly appreciated :)

Lucas
--
Real programmers don't document.
'If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.'