Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 1996 00:11:24 +0000
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@munich.netsurf.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        isdn@muc.ditec.de
Subject:   Re: Status of ISDN drivers

"Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
>> OK.  I can get them for DM 183 including tax, about $128 at the
>> current exchange rates.  Would you like me to send you a pair?  Or
>> shall we wait until we have it running on -current over here?
>
>Well, let me call their U.S. office on Monday and find out what my
>cost here would be.  If your $128 figure is much below mine, I'll
>definitely take you up on that!  I've proved about as much as I can
>with the existing setup ("Wow - you can hook a TA to a serial port.
>I'm so excited at FreeBSD's power and potential." :-) - it's probably
>time to go on to the next challenge (having a vested interest always
>helps :-).

I'm copying this to the ISDN mail list beacuse it's of general interest.
Wir koennen doch alle Englisch, oder ?

I've become aware of a horrible bug somewhere in the ISDN code in the
last few days which apparently trashes the kernel stack somehow.

The bug only manifests itself on the system which is called, i.e.
the machine which may be acting as a gateway. The caller doesn't seem
to see the problem.

This bug is extrememly hard to track down beacuse the fault address is
totally bogus, e.g. 8:0. That's why I suspect that the stack is getting
trashed. It also crops up under circumstances which I can't identify.
Sometimes everything works for hours on end, at other times a panic
happens within minutes of accepting the call.

If you, Jordan, want to aid in tracking this down, then by all means
jump in with both feet ! :) But I cannot, unfortunately, recommend
the ISDN code in its current state unless you're only going to be
calling out, and don't expect to be accepting calls.

But don't let this stop you from checking out the availability of ISDN
cards !

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de