Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 1995 20:16:09 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Thomas Graichen <graichen@sirius.physik.fu-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd and memory

hello again

i some months before asked some questions about freebsd's memory handling and
shared libs etc. in the news - and now again some questions and (evtl. ideas)
(i hope that i'm not boring you)

* is FreeBSD using demand paging for it's shared libs - i don't think (i can
overwrite the libs while they are used - and this is'nt working under Linux
for instance which seems to use demand paging for shared libs) - if not (and
that's what i think) - is anybody working on that - or can tell me why it will
not go (if not) - i think it would be a good option for small-in-memory
systems - because this way they don't have to do so much with their vm system
(pagein/out) - i say this because i'm still looking for the difference between
Linux and FreeBSD at this point - Linux produces binaries of nearly exactly
the same size - but - at a nearly exact system it starts much later swapping
than FreeBSD - and thus is a bit faster than it (for smaller systems) -
because it can take a bigger win of it's merged vm/buffer cache (better -
advantage from the cache part) - i mean - at a 16mb linux system there are
normally around 3m for disk buffers - but at a nearly exact same FreeBSD
machine (same config - same hardware) - the system is heavyly swapping (sorry
- paging) and there's nearly no memory used for buffering - that's why linux
looks better --> can anybody please explain me the difference - why is this so
(and it is so - i know it from my own experience)

* can anybody please explain me how exactly the memory management, swapping,
paging, shared libs, demand paging is working at FreeBSD - i know a bit in
general about it but i'd like to understand how FreeBSD is doing it and which
tricks it is using

thanks in advance - t

                                                  __||
 Perfection is reached, not when there is no  __||       thomas graichen
 longer anything to add, but when there   __||      freie universitaet berlin
 is no longer anything to take away   __||              fachbereich physik
                                  __||
 - Antoine de Saint-Exupery - __||
 ___________________________||____email: graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de____