Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 2018 18:32:06 +0000
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unable to write from Windows PC to samba shares after upgrading to samba46

After using pkg upgrade samba44 has been upgraded to samba46 with the result that Windows (XP and 7) clients now only have read access to my home directory and cannot write to it.

Initially the XP clients couldn't even access any shares after the upgrade because the user name and password were no longer recognised but adding "ntlm auth = Yes" to the [global] section of /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf cleared that problem.

Here's the current version of smb4.conf. Apart from adding "ntlm auth = Yes" it's identical to the setup I've been using without problems with samba44. Are there any other parameters which I should add to regain write access to my home directory share?

[global]
        netbios name = CURLEW
        workgroup = HOME
        security = User
	ntlm auth = Yes
	server string = FreeBSD
	interfaces = 192.168.1.13/24
	hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

        passdb backend = tdbsam

        domain logons = Yes

        printcap name = /dev/null
        load printers = no
        printing = bsd

        # Uncomment the following line, if Windows 10 machines should be able
        # to log on to your NT4-style domain.
        server max protocol = NT1

[homes]
	read only = No